Monday, November 12, 2012

Beef with Red Wine Sauce

Sam's had a special on round steak Saturday so I bought a package, cubed it up, browned it and decided to whip up the recipe for Beef with Red Wine Sauce!  Well the recipe sounded great .... except the mushrooms.... and except the onions!  I poured a glass of wine into the sauce and poured myself a glass.  (Paul also had a glass!).  The saying on my wall is "I love to cook with wine, sometimes I put it in the food". 

Here is the recipe and just so you know - it tastes great without the onions and mushrooms (and the tomato paste - because I forgot to put it in there!). 

3 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 inch pices (I used round steak)
1 medium onion, sliced (feel free to forget!)
1 pound fresh mushrooms, halved (again - forget these!)
1 (1.61 ounce) package brown gravy mix
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
1 cup red wine (don't forget to pour yourself a glass!)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 bay leave
Hot cooked egg noodles or rice

Place first 3 ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker.
Whisk together gravy mix and next 3 ingredients; pour evenly over beef and vegetables. Add bay leaf.
Cover and cook on HIGH 6 hours. Remove and discard bay leaf. Serve over noodles. Garnish, if desired.
I did take the broth out of the crockpot and thickened it with Wonder Flour to make a gravy.  It was very tasty and tender even without the tomato paste.!

No comments:

Post a Comment