Friday, September 14, 2012

Welcome!

Hi!  I'm Sannie (like the DaSani water, it also rhymes with Bonnie, Jonnie, you get the idea!), the S in the title!  I am a first year graduate student at Iowa State University, where baking and cooking are my ultimate stress relief that I constantly indulge in.  Already, I have a few delicious recipes to share that are in progress tonight!

I'll let Mom, the P in the title, introduce herself when she has a chance.  Just know, she is a phenomenal cook who spurred my interest in the art!

So...  Tonight, I have three projects in the works.  Crock pot cheesy tater tot and chicken hot dish is my dinner (it's almost done!).  Salsa and "snakebike" cuppy cakes are being prepared for tailgating tomorrow at ISU's home football games.  Go Cyclones!

Crock Pot Cheesy Tater Tot and Chicken Hot Dish
Ingredients:
     Tater Tots
     Cheese
     Chicken Breast
     (Self explanatory, right?)

How To:
     1.   Grease up your crock pot (I'm using a 1.5 quart I believe..  It's just me!)
     2.   Cover the bottom in tater tots.
     3.   Cover the tater tots with a third of your cheese (I'm using mild cheddar).
     4.   Next layer..  Diced chicken breast (I used one ridiculously large breast).  Add some salt and pepper!
     5.   More cheese, please!
     6.   Now, put the other half of your tater tots atop the chicken.
     7.   Here is where the last third of your cheese should go!!
     8.   Lid on, and turn on the crock pot to high for about 2.5 hours for the little pot, a bit longer if you're    
           using a larger!

     9.   Enjoy!


Salsa

This recipe has never been written down until now..  I am passing on the wisdom of a fantastic cook and one of my best friends who is currently serving in the U.S. Army.  I miss you, Jess!

Ingredients:
     4 Roma Tomatoes
     Green Onions
     1 Bell Pepper (whichever is the cheapest is what I grab)
     1 Cucumber
     1 Can of Yellow Corn
     1 Can of Black Beans
     Cilantro
     1/2 Bottle of Italian Dressing
     Lime and Lemon Juice to taste
     Hot Sauce, to taste
     Spices, to taste

How To:
     1.   Drain corn and beans.  Make sure to rinse your beans!
     2.   Dice those veggies!
     3.   Mix in a large bowl.
     4.   Add 1/2 bottle Italian dressing, lime, lemon, hot sauce and spices.  Adjust until you are happy with
           the taste of the deliciousness!

     5.   Bring to GAME TIME!

Snakebite Cuppy Cakes

Forwarning..  This is a modified version of the Irish Car Bomb Cup Cakes I normally make.  The birthday girl this weekend's drink of choice is a Snakebite: half cider and half Guinness.  So my Guinness cupcake batter is my obvious go to, and I'm attempting a powdered sugar cider frosting.  I am still unsure of the combination of the flavors, but there's only one way to find out if it's tasty.  Make something!

Ingredients:  Cup Cake
     1/2 C Guinness
     1/2 C Butter (butter works best.. I just tried shortening and it is not as good)
     Heaping 1/4 C Cocoa Powder 
     1 C Flour
     1 C Sugar
     3/4 tsp Baking Soda
     1/4 tsp Salt
     1 Egg
     1/3 C Sour Cream (strawberry yogurt added an intersting flavor, but I don't think I would try it again..)

How To:
     1.   Preheat oven to 350.  Grease up some muffin 
           pans or use those amazing creations that 
           come in the form of cupcake tin liners.
     2.   Simmer Guinness and butter in saucepan.  
           Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa 
           powder.
     3.   Blend sugar, egg, baking soda, and salt 
           together.  Add chocolate Guinness to mixture 
           and blend.  
     4.   Add flour and sour cream.
     5.   Fill cupcake tins up 1/2-2/3 full.
     6.   Bake until down, about 15 minutes.


Ingredients:  Powdered Sugar Cider Frosting
     3-3.5 C Powdered Sugar
     1/3 C Butter
     1/4 C Hard Cider 
     1/3 tsp Ground Cinnamon
     Pinch of Salt

How To:
     1.   Blend powdered sugar with butter.  Add cider, cinnamon, and salt.  Blend until fluffy.
     2.   Cross fingers and hope this works!


It actually wasn't all that bad!  Still, I prefer the Irish Car Bomb Cup Cakes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment