Saturday, October 27, 2012

Cheesecake with Whiskey Caramel Sauce

Finally, a break in the madness of exams and work!  This last rotation has been much more busy, with a great many more hours applied, but I have loved it!  The group is fantastic and welcoming, and I will be sad to leave them next week for my final rotation.  Crossing fingers as of now, if this next rotation doesn't rock my boat, I'll return to their lab come December!  Ack!

Tomorrow is a friend's birthday, and as per usual (at least so far down here) I'm making cake and trying to incorporate their favorite drink of choice (Irish carbomb cupcakes for Matt, chocolate mousse cheesecake for Mom, and snakebite cupcakes for Stephanie).  Justin hinted that he was a not a cake fan, but was definitely a cheesecake fan..  Totally fine for me as that is my favorite type of cake, too!  And they have always turned out deliciously (knocking on my wooden table).  I know from outings with him that he favors a good whiskey, and it just so happens Matt has stumbled upon a whiskey even I enjoy - Black Velvet Toasted Caramel.  The name itself led to the making of a whiskey caramel sauce.  I have to admit that it tastes fantastic, but I will need a few more practices to make the caramel sauce to perfection.

I believe I posted the New York Style Cheesecake recipe in my Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake post, but just in case I didn't and for the ease of not having to flip through posts..

New York Style Cheesecake
Ingredients:
     1 1/2 C finely ground graham crackers
     2 Tbsp sugar
     3 Tbsp melted butter

     2 8 oz packages cream cheese
     1 3 oz package cream cheese
     1 C sugar
     1/4 tsp vanilla (I used the whiskey in place of vanilla)
     3 eggs
     lemon zest (I did not use lemon zest in this production)

How to:
     1.   Heat oven to 350 degrees.
     2.   Combine graham crackers, 2 tbsp sugar, and melted butter thoroughly.  Pack into the bottom of a springfoam pan.  Bake 10 minutes.
     3.   Heat oven to 300 degrees.
     4.   Whisk cream cheese and gradually add sugar.  Whisk until fluffy.  Add whiskey.   Add eggs one at a time.  Whisk until well blended.
     5.   Pour cream cheese blend over cracker crust.  Bake until center is firm, about an hour.

Whiskey Caramel Sauce
Ingredients:
     1 C sugar
     water to cover sugar and a bit more
     1 C whipping cream
     1/4 C whiskey

How to:
     1.   Put sugar in medium sauce pan.  Just cover with water and a bit more.  Bring to boil over medium-high heat.  Swirl occasionally.
     2.   After 5-7 minutes, the sugar should start caramelizing and turning amber/brown.
     3.   Remove from heat and slowly add whipping cream and whiskey.
     4.   Hopefully enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment