Thursday, October 18, 2012

Crock Pot Pizza Pasta Hotdish

Tonight's supper is yet another new recipe.  I like pizza and I like pasta so why not put them together.  Looks delicious doesn't it!   


Well just like the last Pizza Hotdish recipe that had potatoes in it .... this is another do not make again.  Pizza cannot be combined with noodles or potatoes!  I think I need to go back to my good ole standbys for awhile

The original recipe called for Tomato Sauce and Oregano as the sauce.  I used another pizza sauce recipe I found on pinterest.

Original recipe
1 lb. rigatoni (uncooked)
2 jars tomato sauce (or your own marinara sauce)
1 tbs. dried oregano
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. Italian sausage 
1 onion, roughly chopped 
1 green pepper, roughly chopped 
1-2 cups sliced mushrooms
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
sliced pepperoni

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain excess fat. Remove from pan and set aside. Do the same thing with the sausage, making sure to break it up into small pieces. Meanwhile, mix the sauce, uncooked pasta, and oregano in a large bowl until the pasta is well coated. Spray the inside of a large crock pot with cooking spray. 

Now make layers using half of each ingredient and then repeat using the other half. Layer in this order: Pasta, beef, sausage, onions, peppers, mushrooms, cheese. Place slices of pepperoni on the top and sprinkle with a little more oregano. Cook on low for about 6 hours.

My recipe (I made a half a batch and of course I skip the onions, pepper and mushrooms!)
1/2 lb rotini noodles (I didn't have rigatoni noodles)
1 recipe - Perfect Pizza Sauce
1 lb ground beef
sliced pepperoni
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain excess fat. Remove from pan and set aside.  mix the sauce, uncooked pasta, and oregano in a large bowl until the pasta is well coated. Spray the inside of a large crock pot with cooking spray. 

Now make layers using half of each ingredient and then repeat using the other half. Layer in this order: Pasta, beef, pepperoni, cheese. Place slices of pepperoni on the top and sprinkle with a little more oregano. Cook on low for about 6 hours.

Perfect Pizza Sauce
Ingredients:
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can tomato sauce
  • 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 garlic clove, finely minced
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried basil)
  • 2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp. dried marjoram (I skipped this because I didn't have any!)
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • pinch of cayenne
  • splash of red wine (optional) (I actually put the red wine in the sauce and didn't drink it!)
Method:Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.  (I stopped here and mixed it with the noodles!)
Cook over medium heat until bubbles begin to rise (and pop) at the surface.  Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for another 15 minutes.  Serve warm.  Or you can also freeze this to use later.

No comments:

Post a Comment