Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pumpkin Banana Bread

It seems as if Mom and I are on the same page today!  I just logged into the blog and behold - pumpkin bread with delicious sounding frosting and salted caramel.. Num!

Well, now I am taking a break from a day of studying for a biochemistry exam and a lab presentation to indulge in my stress relief - BAKING!  It was a dreary fall day here in the middle of Iowa, and the chill in the air brings to mind all things I love about this season.  The football game versus Kansas State played in the background, the rain whipped against windows, and I had a craving for banana bread.. and pumpkins.. so I combined them!

Taking Mom's good old recipe, I left out some banana and put in some pumpkin with nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves for delicious flavoring (at least the batter tasted fantastic!).  The bread is filling my apartment with a wonderful aroma and will soon be done and I'll see if my recipe tastes as good as it smells!

Looking at Mom's recipe..  I've half the mind to add frosting and caramel to the bread..

Pumpkin Banana Bread
Ingredients:
     1 1/2 C sugar
     3/4 C butter (Crisco)
     2 eggs
     1 C mashed bananas
     1/2 - 3/4 C pumpkin puree
     1 tsp salt
     1tsp soda
     nutmeg, to taste
     cinnamon, to taste
     1 tsp vanilla
     cloves, to taste
     2 C flour
     1/2 C buttermilk

How to:
     1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees
     2.   Blend everything together in a large bowl
     3.   Pour into greased whatever size bread pans you have (I used two medium loaf pans)
     4.   Throw those buggers in to the oven for about an hour and a half (as I've said earlier, my oven cooks fast, so I'm looking at about forty five minutes for the medium loaves)
     5.   Hopefully, enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I need to try this and add the frosting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The frosted pumpkin bread your mom brought to our house the other night was delicious!!

    ReplyDelete